Honda Reaches Major Sales and Manufacturing Milestones in CanadaFeb 10th, 2020
• Honda of Canada Mfg. builds nine-millionth vehicle in Ontario
• Honda Canada Inc. surpasses five-millionth vehicle sold through its 50 years in Canada
MARKHAM, ON (February 6, 2020) – Today, Honda Canada Inc. (HCI) celebrates two significant milestones with the production of Honda of Canada Mfg.’s (HCM) nine-millionth vehicle at the company’s manufacturing facility in Ontario and the sale of the company’s five-millionth vehicle across the country. Honda Canada Inc. continues to experience sustained success as these achievements come during celebrations of 50 years of operations and 34 years of vehicle production in Canada.
The nine million vehicles built reflects the cumulative output of Honda’s two auto plants in Ontario and the five million vehicles sold represents cumulative sales of Honda and Acura automotive brands in Canada.
Honda’s cutting-edge manufacturing plant built its first vehicle in Canada in 1986 and since that time, the company has added a second vehicle production facility, as well as an engine manufacturing plant. In 2014, Honda invested $857 million in innovative technologies and processes to modernize its manufacturing capabilities in preparation for production as the global lead plant for the tenth generation Honda Civic. Today, Honda’s investment in Canadian manufacturing facilities has grown to more than $4.2 billion.
“These milestones not only showcase the success of our products, but the dedication, capability and collaboration of our Honda associates and dealerships across the country,” says Dave Gardner, President and CEO, Honda Canada Inc. “We are very proud of how we’ve grown, how we’ve invested in Canada and the fact that so many Canadians are part of the Honda family. I want to express my sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed to our success and I’m looking forward to our bright future here in Canada.”
Honda’s first vehicle built in Canada was a Honda Accord Sedan. Today, HCM builds Honda cars and light trucks, including the CR-V and the Civic, Canada’s best-selling passenger car in Canada the past 22 consecutive years. The following is a list of all of the models that have been built at Honda’s Canadian auto plants over the years:
• Honda Accord Sedan
• Honda Civic Coupe, Sedan and Hatchback
• Honda Odyssey
• Honda CR-V
• Honda Pilot
• Honda Ridgeline
• Acura EL
• Acura CSX
• Acura MDX
• Acura ZDX
• Since 2013, on average more than 57% of HCI vehicles sold in Canada were built in Canada.
• Honda’s Canadian manufacturing plant has a capacity of approximately 400,000 vehicles and 260,000 four-cylinder engines.
• Honda celebrated its 50th anniversary in Canada in March 2019.
• Honda Canada Inc. and its dealer network employ more than 19,000 Canadians coast-to-coast in manufacturing and sales operations.
• Honda Canada buys $2.1 billion in goods annually from Canadian-based suppliers.
• The Honda Civic achieved Canada’s top-selling passenger car status in 2019 for the 22nd consecutive year.